Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Peace! Be Still!

Jesus Calms the Storm
"Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping.  The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!” 

Matthew 8:23-27 (NIV)


Recently I found myself anxious about the many things in my life that were beyond my control and I felt powerless to stop the incessant  worrying.  My mind kept dwelling on the worst case scenarios, all the "what ifs".  There was no rest for my soul, no peace, and no joy in my heart.  Just a constant sense of impending doom.  I desperately wanted to find comfort in my God, but I could not hear His still small voice above the clatter of my own anxiety ridden thoughts.  Then it happened, it was so sudden like a gale wind that appeared out of nowhere.  His voice broke through to the depths of my heart "Peace!  Be Still!"  Instantly the weight of all my fears and anxiety had been obliterated as I embraced those life giving Words.  As I lingered on those words I felt a spreading warmth sweep over my entire being.  The kind of warmth that happens when you know that you are truly loved, through and through, just as you are.  

How amazing and Humbling it was for me to have Jesus respond in such a gentle, patient, and loving way.  He could have been angry with me and rightfully so for my lack of faith, but instead He remembered that I am just dust.  He was not surprised by my thoughts or my giving into my fears since He knows them all already and yet He loves me anyways.

Dear Sisters, Jesus wants to calm the storm raging in your hearts today too!  Can you hear His still small voice echoing in the inner chambers of your mind "Peace! Be Still!"?  Those Words are not just for me, but for you too!  Stop for a moment from what you are doing and reflect on the One who has the power to calm the fiercest storms even those that rage in our own minds. 

John 14:27 (Amplified Bible)

"Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]"
   

No comments:

Post a Comment