Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Book Review: Counsel From the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ


This book is a definite must read for any Christian, but especially for those who are counseling others. Whether you are a friend counseling a friend, a mentor, lay counselor, or a professional counselor this book is for you. The book is well written is theologically sound and has examples of case studies so that you can practically see how the gospel is to be the foundation in counseling. The authors of the book clearly show that the gospel is necessary for saving faith but they don't stop there they also show that it is to be our main focus in the sanctification process. Keeping our eyes always on the gospel will keep us from ending up as the "happy moralist" or from being the "sad moralist". As the authors so aptly put it: "Our ongoing rehearsal of the weight of God's law, the depth of our sin, and the generosity of His mercy should produce within us a 'feeling of communion' with Him, a responsive joy that guards our hearts when either temptation to laxity or temptation to sad moralism calls." This book gets 5 stars plus from me...I highly recommend this book.

2 comments:

  1. Dah! I really want to read this! I just got my reading load for my class. (Urk, dies) Sigh. Thanks for the review, though. Maybe once I'm not working on unpacking in all my spare time, I can read a page here and there!

    ReplyDelete