Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

"The Blessing of Thorns"

Last year I attended a conference for Christian women.  As in most conferences there were tables filled with books and misc. items that were for sale.  Amongst the many books I came upon a small treasure.  It was a simple silver key chain that read "The Blessings of Thorns."  I knew that I was in need of being constantly reminded that the difficult and painful circumstances we all face are blessings.  By that I don't mean to sound as though I'm saying they don't hurt because I know full well they do.  What I do mean is that for those who are God's children, those circumstances as unbearable and painful as they may seem at the time are allowed for our good and for God's purposes (Romans 8:28).  We may not always see what the good is in this life, but we can be certain that someday when we meet Jesus face to face we will fully understand.  I purchased this key chain and immediately added it to my other key chains.  Today I was holding my keys and glanced down at this very key chain, I rubbed it's surface thinking about it's message in the context of the many thoughts that were weighing me down and running through my head...

Those many thoughts...that life is painful and that so many people struggle with navigating through this world.  That I too have struggled navigating through this world and that apart from Christ I don't know how I would.  There have been many times I've been sorely tempted to be crushed by the weight of the trials I've faced.  Tempted to give up, I would cry out to my Savior and He alone would give me strength along with the courage that I needed to get up and keep going.  It was in these times that I experientially learned that My God is faithful, He sustains, He heals the broken heart, He comforts when no one else can, He fights for you, He protects, He strengthens those who are weak, He forgives, He is just, He provides a timely word through others, He knows all about me and loves me anyways, and I could go on and on.  It was also in these times that I've seen God tear down my idols, remove unhealthy desires and habits, transform my thinking from one that rebelled against His ways to one that longed for them, and I've seen Him purify my need for affirmation from others.  Learning all this and more about our God is worth to me the sorrows and hardships I have had to face.  This is the good that He has worked out in my circumstances.  I may not yet see the good that I had longed or prayed to see, but this I know my God is faithful and He does supply all my need in Christ Jesus.  So I continue on, but not in bitterness of heart for unanswered prayer.  No, I continue on rejoicing for all that Christ has accomplished on my behalf, that is my salvation and sanctification that will one day be complete.  It is in this that I hope, not in a perfect life here.  No, I know that in this world I will have troubles and yet Christ will see me through.  I long for everyone to know this hope that I have in Christ.  This hope that carries me through the darkest of times...

Other thoughts that were running through my mind that spurred all of this on...I was sitting in a coffee shop today studying for my class.  I've been studying the many different psychological theories and how they measure up when compared with the absolute truths in Scripture.  When I noticed a young lady along with an older woman sit down next to me.  I couldn't help but be curious since this was a weekday and the girl should have been in school.  I noticed that they were obviously not mother and daughter for they did not look alike in any way.  Though I tried not to listen I couldn't help but overhear some of their conversation since they were right next to me.  The older woman was asking probing questions of the younger girl.  I only herd bits and pieces because I truly was trying to study, but this is what I gathered:  the girl has been having some problems and It was obvious this woman was there to help this young woman in some way.  As a result of the bits and pieces I had overheard I became burdened for both these woman.  I also became introspective...

I started to think about all those I personally know who are struggling right now.  Those who though they need help have chosen to not get the help they need and continue on a destructive path.  It's hard watching loved ones make choices that you know will in the long run hurt themselves and those that love them.  Ugh!!! Sometimes I just want to shake them so they'll wake up.  Releasing them to God, letting Him deal with them in His  way, and on his time scale is hard for me.  My professor said in one of our classes that a counselor is not a Savior.  Whack!  I felt that like a slap on the back of my head.  Of course there is one and only Perfect Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ!!!  Though I long to help those in need and it is a God given desire, I must always remember my rightful place.  That is, I'm merely an instrument of God for the purpose of pointing others to Him.

All this brings me back to that simple silver key chain and the reminder that is engraved on it's face "The Blessings of Thorns."  The "Thorns" in my life God used to bring me to my knees before Him in humble repentance and submission to His will, to rid me of sin (which is an ongoing process), to show me my need of Him, to cause me to depend on Him, taught me that all I need is found in Him alone, and that through the trials He taught me about Himself in ways that could never be learned by simply studying His word.  Yes, the trials I've faced I can confidently say have been a blessing to me and if you are His daughter they can be a blessing to you too.

Dear Sister, if you are going through trials right now let me suggest that you have a choice before you.  You can either respond in humility asking God to teach you through the trial you are facing or you can respond by fighting against it, letting anger and bitterness build up within you.  One choice leads to a joy-filled hopeful life the other to misery.  Which one will you choose today?

Never forget you are loved with a perfect, faithful, everlasting, and pure love Dear Sisters!!!!

1 comment: