Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 21- Being a Good Steward of You - part 1

toward
Abundant Life

If this is your first day here you may want to read here first

Day 22 - Taking Care of You - part 1


Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit  
who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your 
own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in 
your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 

I believe that if we want to more fully experience the abundant life that is ours in Christ then we need to take better care of ourselves.  We need to eat better, make sure we are getting enough sleep, and exercise.  Some of you are probably going to resist me on this one, but please hear me out.  If we are not doing those things we are going to feel tired, we will be irritable, and we will be less productive.

I know you are probably rehearsing in your head all the reasons why you can't do that, but you can!  Listen, I've never liked exercising!  Except for going on a long bike ride, but that never happened.  So you know what, I didn't exercise for years!  I was tired all the time and since the birth of my youngest son I was taking 2 hour naps every day.  I never took a nap with my other children, but with the youngest I just had too.  Also, my back problems were not going away and a Chiropractor could no longer help.  So I stared going for physical therapy.  While doing the therapy I discovered that there were things that I myself could do to help relieve the pain as well as prevent it (though I'm never completely pain free).  I also, learned that the more I exercise the less I "ache."  Another benefit that developed from exercising was that one day I noticed that I was no longer napping every day and would in fact go for days without napping.  I just wasn't as tired anymore!  So though I don't enjoy the act of exercise I enjoy that I feel better, hurt less, and am not as tired.    

I know another hurdle and this is a huge one for most of us is time!  You'd love to exercise, you know you feel better but you just don't have the time.  I know, I've been there too!  Believe me when I say you do have the time.  If you make it a priority in your life you will be surprised that you can fit it in your schedule.  If you don't you might end up in the place I was; spending way to much money and time seeing doctors, getting cortisone shots, and physical therapy.  I personally have learned it is much wiser to be exercising consistantly.  It just takes less time as well as less money.

Look at it this way.  Think of how tired you are now as well as how much better it would be to have more energy and be less irritable with others.  Think also about how much more you would simply enjoy life if you weren't always living in a fog.  Besides taking care of our bodies it's being a good steward of you!  And you, your body, is the temple of the Holy Spirit.  And though I haven't found a scripture in the Bible that speaks directly to the importance of exercise there are plenty of scriptures on the wisdom in being disciplined.  As well, I think that it's safe to say that it pleases God when we take care of us.  Because then we are better able to serve Him.

Ladies, if I, a busy girl with a large family who was not athletic or disciplined can do it, then so can you!  Just start walking outside and make some small changes in your diet.  Won't you join me in being healthier? Then report back to me and let me know how you are doing!

One little side note:  I'm not saying make an idol out of exercising and be obssesive about it.  What I am suggesting is that we simply need to be healthy!  We may talk a little more on this tomorrow...

So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing.  
 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should.
 Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself 
might be disqualified.
 1 Corinthians 9:26-27
 

No comments:

Post a Comment