Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day 22 - Being a Good Steward of You - part 2

toward
Abundant Life

If this is your first day here you may want to read here first

Day 22 - Taking Care of You - part 2


So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing.  
 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should.
 Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself 
might be disqualified.
 1 Corinthians 9:26-27

Yesterday I talked with you about some of the benefits of being a good steward of our bodies.  Today I want to share with you another.  That is, that being a good steward of our bodies can help combat or prevent depression.  It may not be the only answer, but it is part of it.  I'm also going to share some practical how to tips.
 
Recently I read a study on the effects of "lifestyle intervention" for treating depression in women. 

Brown, Marie-Annette, et al. "The Effects of a Multi-Modal Intervention Trial of Light, Exercise, and Vitamins on Women's Mood." Women & Health 34.3 (2001): 93. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Web. 2 Feb. 2010.

In the study they tested to see if a "tri-modal" approach would help to alleviate some of the symptoms of depression.  The three modes of treatment were: exposure to natural light (sun), moderate intensity exercise, and vitamins.  Guess what ladies?  It worked!  The intervention was found to "improve overall mood, self-esteem, sense of well being, and symptoms of depression by two levels."  No, it was not a total removal of the depression, but it did help.   

We are created beings in the image of God and as such we have bodies, minds, and souls.  We are not just bodies, or just souls, or just minds.   We are a combination.  If any one aspect of the combination is out of whack then the other areas are affected too.  Therefore ladies just imagine what would happen if we Christians added a fourth mode: Quiet time with the Lord!  And a fifth: adequate rest (I know this one is not always possible esp. for mom's of young infants, but take heart it won't be forever).   I'm sure we would be healthier, happier and in the case of those who are prone to depression, see the symptoms of depression lessen even more then two levels!

O.k. so here are my suggestions on what I think it looks like to be a good steward of you!

Being a Good Steward of  Me means I...

1) Spend daily quiet time with the Lord - (Spiritual/mind)
2) Join a Bible Study or Small Group - (Spiritual/mind) growth and change are more likely to happen in   community 
3) Eat Well - take vitamins if need be - (Physical/body)
4) Exercise a minimum of three times a week - (Physical/body) could be as simple as a brisk walk
5) Either get out in the sunshine atleast 1/2hour a day or increase vitamin D - (Physical/body) check your levels with your doctor first
6) Make sure you are getting adequate rest - (Physical/body)

A few tips on how to do it are:


Daily quiet time:
1)Schedule it into your schedule- start out slow 15min. to a half hour each day reading a few verses to a chapter (it's more important that you meditate on the Word then how much you read).  If you have more time and want to spend it with the Lord and in His Word then great!  If not, don't set yourself up for failure. Be practical!  You can always increase your time on days you have it.   Also, make it a must do (a priority), whether you feel like it or not
2) Pray before you begin - ask the Holy Spirit to show you what He wants you to know from His Word.
3) Record any thoughts you have about what you read in a notebook or journal
4) Think on the scripture throughout the day - maybe choose one verse to memorize
5) Share what you learned with someone (if possible)

Exercise:
1) Schedule it in on your calendar as well - if it's not a priority you will find excuses not to do it.  Set a goal of 3x a week (skipping a day between)  at least 1 hour = 30 cardio & 30 weight.  It's better to start off slow then set yourself up for failure because you had unrealistic goals. You can always increase days or amount of time once you meet your goals.
2) Ask a friend to keep you accountable or find a buddy to exercise with
3) Choose something that you would most enjoy - if your like me and don't like to exercise that's hard.  So think of it this way - choose the one that you hate the least.  I promise you, you will over time begin to enjoy it when you start feeling the results.
4) Do cardio training (walking, running elliptical), core training (stomach and back muscles), and weight training (free weights or circuit) if possible.
5) Set mini goals at first - When I first started exercising I was working out at a gym on an elliptical.  The thoughts that ran through my mind were "I hate this!"  "Why am I doing this?"  "Why do people put themselves through this."  I quickly had to change my thoughts or I would have been done right there.  I learned the best thing I could do is set mini goals.  I'd say to myself "just do 15 min.".  Then when I finished the 15min. I'd say "you did it!"  "Now do 10 min. more."  I did that until I was up to thirty minutes.  Then when I finished 30minutes I celebrated...well on the inside anyways since I was at a gym.  When I started running (something I was completely convinced I could never do) I did the same.  I would just say "just make it to that corner." "You did it, now run to that tree." "See you made it there too!"  "You got this!" "Now run to that garbage can" and so on. The day I ran for 2 miles without walking once I almost did a Rocky dance on my block.  I was smiling ear to ear!  I could not believe I did it!  That was almost two months ago and I'm still running. 
6) Don't get frustrated when your not seeing results- Keep it up!  I promise you, you will get stronger, leaner, and healthier over time.  The key word is time!  It takes time!  You didn't get that way over night and your not going to get in shape and be healthier in just one week either.

Eating Healthy:
1) Eat smaller portions
2) Chew slower- enjoy what your eating/tasting instead of shoveling it in cause it tastes so good.  If your doing that you can't taste it and your certainly not enjoying...though you might be thinking you are.  I found myself caught in this trap many times.
3) Eat three meals a day
4) Start you day with protein so your not hungry before it's even close to lunch
5) Eat well balanced meals - make sure your eating fruits and vegetables
6) Don't eat just cause your bored- do something
7) Search online or pinterest for healthy meals (ask friends too)

That's all I have time for today ladies, other then one quick thought that I must mention.  This is towards any of you suffering from depression and who may be on meds.  If you are on them please don't stop!  If you want to try my suggestions to see if they help your depression, then do it while on your meds.  Then if your feeling better talk to your doctor about tapering off the meds.  If he says no, don't!  If he says you can try it, then do it under his supervision!  Please don't do it on your own!  That is very dangerous!  For more information on depression and medication etc... see my link to Dr. Laura Hendrickson's blog on the side.  She has a very good solid Bibical and medical understanding about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment